legaleagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney for 7 years

Can a probation officer make me go to substance abuse treatment

Can a probation officer make me go to substance abuse treatment? He said I had trace amounts of alcohol in 2 UA's. I told him I had taken cold meds and even my doctor agreed. The PO wont listen to my doctor or family. They all say I dont abuse any substances. I have been on probation for 8 months w/o incidence then I was transfered to him last mont and my problems began. What can I do? He has no court order. I am on probation for a DWI. My one and only offense. I am a 45 year old disabled grandma. He says I should be in jail. I just dont get it.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.
Based on 2 UAs with trace amounts of alcohol the PO can change the terms of your probation and order substance abuse treatment. But he has to get a court to put the new requirements in place. If you really do not want to go to treatment you should first speak with his supervisor and see if his supervisor feels the same way, then if they do, make them go to court to get you ordered to get treatment because in court you can prove that you did not have alcohol in your system and then they can not force treatment on you.