Bappelman, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Former Public Defender, Founder and Criminal Defense Attorney at Appelman Criminal Defense LLC.

how can I have my work project released or change to communty

how can I have my work project released or change to communty service due to a family hardship?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Bappelman replied 7 years ago.

Your best option is to file a motion to get your case brought back into court. Once you are in front of the judge you can explain your situation and hopefully the judge will modify your sentence to allow you to either do community service, or possibly to give you credit for taking care of your mother in law.

You could hire a lawyer to assist you with this, but it is not necessary to do so.

Most judges will listen to what you have to say, and in extreme situations like this they may very likely want to help you out.

Remember that you need to file a "Motion to Modify" your sentence. If you go to the Court Clerk's office they will know exactly what you are trying to do and should help you to fill out the necessary paperwork.

Good Luck!