Jack R.
Jack R., Lawyer
Experience:  OHIO//Texas Attorney Civil/Crimnal Practice
14472836

I had a hot check when I was 19 (10 years ago) for (15.00).

I had a hot check when I was 19 (10 years ago) for (15.00). I honestly did not realize this check was not paid, closed my account a few months later because I moved and thought nothing of it. I was pulled over 4 months later for having a new car with no tags and arrested. I was taken to the police station, paid the check, signed some paper and walked out. After speaking with the police station today I was informed that I had something that stated as long as I was not arrested during the next year then it would not show up. I did a background check on myself and it did not show up. I was told someone would have to call them and have my birthdate and name to even know about it because it will not show up anywhere (like a random traffic stop). That being said, I am applying to law school and worried about admiting to this. Can they see it?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Jack R. replied 7 years ago.

Your application to law school, will state that you need to provide all convictions. If you paid a a fine, or other than you should list these on your application. Failure to be totally honest on an application is not nearly as bad as completing law school only to find out that because you did not honestly report your right to take the bar exam is forfeit. A detailed backround check is done prior to obtaining permission to sit for the bar. The results of that search can be compared against your law school application. The detailed backround check is done with all you identifying information.

If you are uncertain it is best to speak with a school counselor. What hurts is not the relatively minor violation, but rather the hiding of the violation.

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Is this something I could get expunged? Or would that not matter because the background check to sit for the bar can view that as well?

Expert:  Jack R. replied 7 years ago.

Yu must report items that were expunged as well. Do noit be afraid of the review. Your violations are minor. Hiding a violation is considered dishionesty, and the profession does noit need dishonest lawyers. Yur missing the picture, disclosure is helpful not harmful.