Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

What is the penalty in the state of Texas for abusing an over

What is the penalty in the state of Texas for abusing an over the counter medication inconsistent with its labeling?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
For over the counter drugs, the law is based upon intoxication. According to Texas law, the legal definition of intoxicated is not having the normal use of mental or physical faculties because of the introduction of alcohol, a controlled substance, a drug, or any other substance in the body.. A person may be charged with public intoxication, and it is also illegal to drive under the influence of these types of products. But this is the only law regarding such abuse of those substances.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So the only legal question at play would be public intoxication or DUI?

What if, for example, the medication was converted chemically into a different form? For example, an OTC inhaler containing an amphetamine converted from its original form to a powder or crystalline form using a chemical process - would the resulting product be illegal to possess?
This depends on whether or not it has been converted to an illegal substance. There are certain substances like amphetamines that are illegal and if they are converting the over the counter substance to extract the amphetamine, they could be charged with possession of unlawful narcotics.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer