Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I have a 17 year old that failed to appear on a traffic citation.

I have a 17 year old that failed to appear on a traffic citation. The judge has requested a letter. The matter is a proof of motor vehicle insurance, which we now have.

The only excuse I see is a teenager who forgot.

Thank you!
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Forgeting is not really a good excuse to the court, but for a teenager the courts do have a bit more understanding and when you write the letter to the judge a discussion about learning responsibility for this would help as well along with a sincere apology for the forgetting of the court date. Unfortunately, whether or not you now have insurance is not really relevant it matters whether or not he had it at the time and it will not even mitigate the fine if the court finds that even as of the date of the hearing that he missed there was no insurance. The only thing the apology may do is lessen the fine or community service that he is assigned.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”