Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

Can i become a citizen if i have a misdemeanor in my recor

Can i become a citizen if i have a misdemeanor in my record?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 years ago.
Maybe, maybe not. In order to become a naturalized US citizen you have to show that you have good moral character. You would have to disclose the conviction, because if you didn't, INS would find it anyway, and your failure to disclose it would demonstrate a lack of good moral character. But in some instances you would face risks by simply applying:

INS sees certain crimes as serious whether they are misdemeanors or felonies. To apply and have one of these on your record would be to risk deportation. So you would want to speak to an immigration lawyer before you applied.

You can read more details and find a list of the types of offenses which would show a lack of moral character by clicking on this link.

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice.