California Lawyer
California Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice law in California
19551178

My 18 yr old son was charged with Possess w/Intent-THC ( 200

My 18 yr old son was charged with Possess w/Intent-THC (<=200 grams) - first time offense. What could he be facing sentencing-wise?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  California Lawyer replied 7 years ago.
This is an impossible question to answer. It depends on the jurisdiction, the charge, his history and the facts surrounding the case. Based on the limited amount you wrote, I would guess probation and a fine, but that is a guess.

The most important thing to do is to hire a defense attorney. Any conviction can carry serious consequences for later life and should be avoided at all costs.

I hope this helps.

DCG
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Jurisdiction would be Brown County WI (green bay). he has no prior history of any charges or convictions. if he cannot afford a lawyer will he be provided with one? sorry to seem so ignorant on this but my knowledge of law is limited to watching Law&Order.
No problem.

Yes, he will have access to the public defender. I would urge him to work with the attorney appointed. Even small convictions carry lifetime consequences and since he is 18 it will be on his record a long time. At some point he might be able to get a conviction expunged.

Best of luck to you.

DCG