AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
18048122

what does probation/parole/post release status mean

Customer Question

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 7 years ago.

Disclaimer

By reading further, you agree to and understand the following:
Laws vary drastically by state and country. It is impossible for an attorney to provide proper legal advice on JustAnswer and what follows is not legal advice and is general information provided for educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed. T-USA is not your attorney. No attorney-client privilege exists and anything written can be used in court if discovered by an opposing party.
The following information is provided for the purpose of encouraging you to seek, in person, the counsel of an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your particular state. It is essential to consult such an attorney as soon as possible.
_____________________________________

Answer

Probation occurs when a person is placed under community supervision instead of sentenced to a jail/prison term.

Parole occurs when a person has served time in jail/prison but is released from prison early, rather than serving his entire term of incarceration. Post release supervision is essentially the same thing is parole.

Please click the green
Accept Button to accept my answer so I will receive credit for the time and effort I have spent answering your question. Bonuses and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated.

You should consult an attorney who is licensed to practice in your state about these matters. You can find an attorney licensed to practice law in your state through your state's lawyer referral services:
http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/lris/directory/

In the future, please feel free to ask questions of me personally at:
http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=18048122&FID=0