P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.

can criminal charges be dropped after they are filed......i

can criminal charges be dropped after they are filed......i got a letter from the DA saying arraignment for charges is August 31, 2009 for and incident June 7, 2009...can the person who filed the incident report have files dropped after the DA has it?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to assist

The DA has the final say on whether to prosecute charges or not. Its known as prosecutorial discretion. SO the prosecutor will decide not only when to charge a case, but also if and when to drop it.

That said, the prosecutor is an elected official and mindful of the many factors that surround a criminal case, including the desires of the victim of the case. If the victim notifies the prosecutor that he or she no longer wants to "press charges" and does not want to assist in the prosecution of the case, in some cases the prosecutor will use this to drop the charges.

I say in some cases, since in the end its up to the prosecutor, and sometimes they will press on despite the desires of the complaining witnesses. This is particularly true in cases of domestic violence and other "hot button" issues in that particular jurisdiction.

SO, is it too late for the victim to ask for the charges to be dropped? NO. But understand that the decision is up the the prosecutor, not the victim.

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises; (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.