P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
11181181

What is the correct procedure for the federal government to

Customer Question

What is the correct procedure for the federal government to use a phase 3 venicular wire tap on a cell phone
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 years ago.
Unless this is a national security case, the federal government must get authorization from a court to authorize a wiretap on a personal cell phone. This is required by the US Constitution. If the government taps a phone listens to a private conversation without prior authorization then it may be possible to "suppress" the evidence they gained through this tap.

Now there are various ways to tap a cell phone, but the most common is to simply have the service provider provide the "tap". This can happen with the government presenting the subpoena from the court.

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises; (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.