Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 28 yrs. exp. in criminal law
19127644

What is the statue of limitation when someone commits a first

What is the statue of limitation when someone commits a first degree also against you. About six years ago my ex-wife's husband pulled a gun out on me. The police were called and I do have a police report number. At that time she was concerned about losing her job with the FBI charges were filed. Recently, he has just threatened to shoot my son as well as myself. I would like to move forward and press charges against the felony that happened six years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 5 years ago.
Hello Looking,

In order to answer your question more thoroughly I need a few more details. If I understand the facts correctly, you say that your ex-husband held a gun on you and that there was a police report filed. What I need to know is what exactly happened after that with the charges? Were they dismissed by a court or did the police stop investigating because you said you didn't want to go forward? I also don't understand who the "she" is that was worried about losing their job with the FBI, can you clarify that?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your response. It was my ex-wife's husband is the individual who pointed a gun at me. Yes, there was a police report taken by the arriving officers on the scene of the crime. No, I personally never filed any court documents or charges against this individual. I would like to do it now since this individual has recently stated he will shoot my son... that is the mother of my ex-wife. This guy is very unstable and I am very concerned about the welfare of my son. Therefore, I want to move forward and filed the charges against him that should have been filed six years ago... please reply
Hello again,

There is no statute of limitations on felonies in Maryland, so assuming the state did not dismiss with prejudice charges from the event six years ago they could technically be prosecuted now. Having said that, I'm not sure why you wouldn't also want to go forward the threat of violence against your son. If you haven't already done so, I would file a police report and complaint based on that threat. When you do that you can ask that the case from six years ago be forwarded to the state prosecutor for action.
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed attorney with 28 yrs. exp. in criminal law
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so very much for your timely information
You're welcome and good luck to you.