JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

My fiance has been accused of 9 counts of forgery she was said

Customer Question

My fiance has been accused of 9 counts of forgery she was said to ave been caught with 9 checks that were not in her name. Noted is to say she was not trying to cash them was just caught with them. It would be her first offense what can I expect?

2. With me being a Captain in the military will I have any bearing on how this arraignment will go if she could possibly be released.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of your circumstances. No, your being a Captain should not have any bearing on the arraignment. What will have a bearing is the presence of any family at the arraignment.

At the arraignment, she will be informed of the charges and possible max. penalty.

She will be asked if she's going to hire an attorney, represent herself, or ask for court-appointed counsel.

Unless she indicates that she's going to hire an attorney or ask for court appointed-counsel, she will be asked how she pleads: guilty/not-guilty.

Then the judge/magistrate will set bond. Some of the things the judicial offer will take into account is: past criminal history, likelihood of conviction, family support, seriousness of the charges, threat to the community, any substance abuse/mental health issues, likelihood of the person to come back to court, etc.

Good luck and best wishes! I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!