Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Missisippi Attorney; Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury, and Civil Defense
18210975

Back in aug i went down to the police station to give a voluntary

Back in aug i went down to the police station to give a voluntary statement. The officer there told me that i was not being recorded in any way and that i could leave at any point. She then sat by the door making it uncomfortble to leave. But that isn't the real issue, I have just found out that i was recorded by some video camera that looks like it might have been hidden on a shelf behind her. Can i use this to get my statment thrown out in court
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Hello-

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

Why do you want your statement thrown out? You were there to give a statement, correct? Surely you knew they would use the statement, right? Could you explain why you are worried about the video but didn't mind giving the statement?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did but it was 2 in the AM when i gave the statement and i am looking at 20 plus years. I am wondering if my lawyer just doesn't want to go through the legal process when he suggested we take an offer, or if he is right. If i can get the statment thrown out the court would have nothing on me but an accuzation.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is anybody going to answer my question, i have been waiting 30 minutes now.
Thanks for your response. Remember, every Expert here has other things in their lives going on as well, and we try to answer questions as soon as we get near a computer.

Your statement will not be thrown out because a video camera was present. The State does not need the video - they have the officer that was there who can testify as to what you said, and they may have audio as well. I'm sorry.

If my answer was helpful, please click ACCEPT so I may be compensated for my time. Thanks.

Regards,

Michael
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Licensed Missisippi Attorney; Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury, and Civil Defense