legaleagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney for 7 years

I am 20 and I got an MIP and an indecent exposure charge (for

Customer Question

I am 20 and I got an MIP and an indecent exposure charge (for sitting in the back of the car with boxers on). Do I need to get a lawyer for my court date and what kind of penalties am I facing? How can I get the charges reduced/dropped so that I do not have a criminal record or anything?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.
<p>What state are you in?</p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it was in Omaha, NE
It is helpful to have an attorney present to really present all your options rather than let a DA or county attorney tell you what is best for you because you are not their client and they do not have to give you the best deal. With an attorney present they will know what is good and what the consequences are for accepting any deal offered. The best is to have the charge dismissed completely, but rather than having a conviction it is good to get a deferred adjudication where you serve a short time on probation and if you complete it without further incident the charges are dropped and you are not convicted of anything. The punishment is usually a year for each for probtation and/or fines of up to $1000 ea.