LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience
15277592

if someone was arrested, pled nol contrende to a charge of

if someone was arrested, pled nol contrende to a charge of child molestation, 25 years ago, will this still come up in a background check? No other offense; conplete a year of jail; probabtion was for 12 years, but case was closed, at the end of 5 yeards...with probabtion ended.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 years ago.
Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

A plea of nolo contendere acts as a guilty plea in a criminal court. It is primarily used as a plea to avoid an automatic presumption of liability in a civil case. It will absolutely show up in a background check, despite the fact that all aspects of the punishment and probation have been satisfied.

I wish you well.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,

Doug