LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience

What is the acronyms ngri and gbi stand for and what is the

What is the acronyms ngri and gbi stand for and what is the difference between them?
In PA is ngri or gbi used when insanty is proven?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 years ago.
Good afternoon,

NGRI stands for Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity, while GBI stands for Guilty but insane. These acronyms refer to verdicts rendered by a jury.

NGBI is a verdict that can be rendered in a PA criminal case in the case of an insane defendant. This verdict serves to excuse the offender of the criminal penalties of the crime. However, the court can Order treatment if the judge finds that treatment is necessary due to the dangerous character of the defendant.

I wish you well.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,