LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience
15277592

7/30/09

7/30/09

& nbsp;                                                                           Beryl Parchment
                                                                                  153 E 87th ST. Apt. 10A
&nbs p;                                                                                New York, N. Y. 10128
                                &nb sp;                                                [email protected]
                              &nbs p;                                                  C-XXX-XXX-XXXX

Dr. Berman, Medical Director, GuildNet Appeals Department,

As you know on 7/23/09 and 7/24/09, a LPN was to assess my mother, Mildred
Hines , behavior overnight. The LPN arrived at 8PM, Thursday night to assess mothers
behavior and left at 8AM. I too was present in my mothers apartment overnight. The baby
monitor was on and I too was aware of mothers activity during the course of the night;
which was to use the bathroom and return to bed. On Friday, I received a call from Alethea
Petri, Appeals Department, who informed me, to better assess mothers activity overnight by
the LPN, it is advisable that I go home and not stay overnight in mothers apartment. I was
in agreement. I returned to mothers apartment, Friday evening after work to await the arrival
of the LPN......Dr. Berman, the LPN never arrived on Friday evening. I remained with my
mother overnight as I have done for the past year. On Monday evening, at 4:50PM, Alethea
Petri called to inform me that based upon the report filed by the LPN my mother was
acting irrational and attempted to harm herself and the LPN by removing the barricade to
the terrace and should be brought to Mt Sinai Hospital immediately for Psych evaluation.
Naturally I was in a state of shock, because what evidence was this based on and
in fact this NEVER HAPPENED. I hope this is not the route that GuildNet Appeal Depart-
ment uses to obtain vital statistics; FILE FAISE CLAIMS. GuildNet has a mission to serve
the elderly, blind or visually impaired and who may have additional disabilities acheive lives
of dignity in a secured enviornment, not to take advantage of the elderly. As a result of this
fabrication, my mother, 88y/o, has suffered unnecessary mental and potential physical
injury by being takened from the comfort of her home and placed on a Psychiatric Unit
at Mt Sinai Hospital, with limited freedom, mobility, stimulating interaction, isolation
and exposed to patients with Psychological disorders. An extensive Psychological work-up
has been conducted, completed and my mother found not to be a danger to self or staff, is
ready for discharge and now GuildNet has removed themselves from providing the services
that was implemented for the past 2 years.
             I have many questions that GuildNet has to account for. I, Beryl Parchment, am my
mothers Caregiver and Advocate. I am an Oncological Nurse at Memorial Sloan Kettering
Cancer Center for 32 yrs in Bone Marrow Transplantation with excellent assessment skills,
impecable track record for Professional care and a patient Advocate. If my mother was in
immediate danger to self or staff on Thursday or Friday night, why was there a lapse of
notification, 72hrs plus, in contacting me? If I had observed my mother or any person
acting irrational, agitated and suicidal, I would never hesitate in getting my mother the
Medical care that is needed STAT. When was GuildNet notified of the occurrence and what
protocol were taken to provide a secure, safe environment for my mother at that time? Dr.
Berman, I am requesting that you launch a full investigation of these allegations because a
grave injustice has occurred to my mother and myself; Civil Rights violation by falsifying vital
statistics and Defamation of Character. Alethea Petri, filed a false claim and I want these
records to be reviewed. Your consideration and cooperation is appreciated at this time. I have
contacted outside Agencies to also conduct an independent review of GuildNet's practice.

Sincerely,

Beryl Parchment

cc: 7 ON YOUR SIDE/Eyewitness News, Rev. Al Sharpton, Mayors Office/HRA Home Care
Complaint Department, New York State Department of Health, Senator Charles Schumer,
Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, NY1 News
Good morning,

What is your legal question?

Doug
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

7/30/09

Beryl Parchment

153 E 87th ST. Apt. 10A

New York, N. Y. 10128

[email protected]

C-XXX-XXX-XXXX

Sincerely,

Beryl Parchment

Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, NY1 News

Good morning,

I'm sorry but what you have pasted to the Reply is not a question.

I read your lengthy letter apparently copied to half a dozen agencies and notable personalities.

Your letter does not constitute a question that I can make out. Do you have a specific legal question?

Doug
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What can I do to facilitate my mother to be discharge from this Psychiatic Unit. The Agency , GuildNet filed a false claim, as a result my mother is hospitalized. My mother never acted suicidal.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

What is my mothers legal rights here?

Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

I am not going to attempt to sorry out the issues you raise with GuildNet or any of their employees. That is for you, your mother and your attorney to sort out if you decide to make any kind of a claim later. I will address only the psychiatric hold.

I actually have some experience in psychiatric holds. And, as an R.N., I'm sure that you are aware of the ins and outs of psychiatric holds as well. In New York the applicable law which is used to hold people for long periods of time is known as Kendra's Law. Under NY law a person may be taken and held for 72 hours if they appear to be a danger to themselves or others. Following that time, a decision to keep your mother can be challenged.

In terms of options, you essentially have two.

First, you can wait until the physicians decide to release your mother, which unless you know more about your mother's immediate condition than the doctors do, it may be the appropriate way to allow this to proceed.

Or second, you can retain an attorney to file a Habeas Corpus type of petition with the court and have a hearing to determine whether there is adequate legal and medical justification to continue to hold her.

I wish yo

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,

Doug

u well.