DCrane Law
DCrane Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney

My neighbor has been harassing me for approximately three years

Customer Question

My neighbor has been harassing me for approximately three years now. Just recently, over the past week he has made calls to the local Building Department, code enforcement, and the Sheriff's department. In each case there was no violation or infraction noted by the inspecting party. Today the neighbor was unhappy the local sheriff who was called to investigate a complaint regarding my roosters, also found no infraction. When presented with the opportunity he and his wife confronted me, threatening to do me bodily harm, they also began screaming and calling me ni**er and other names which I did not appreciate. I would like to take legal action to get the harassment to stop, but I am told that a harassment case is hard to prove. They have called my husband's job trying to get him fired and have called just about every local agency that would respond. I'm not sure what I can do, but this doesn't seem like it is going to end any time soon unless I do something.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  DCrane Law replied 7 years ago.
True in order to establish a harassment claim is difficult with no proof. But here you can obtain the requisite proof by contacting the agencies that the neighbor called and ask those agencies to send you a report of the allegation and disposition. Then you have your paper trail for the claim.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is a small claims case in which I seek punitive damages, easier to prove? If I pursue a formal harrassment charge what will the likely outcome be, what might his punishment be.
yes you can seek punitive damages in small claims, and with the paper trail the outcome is likely a finding in your favor.