socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

Hello, I am an adult man who was earlier this evening on AOL

Hello, I am an adult man who was earlier this evening on AOL chat. I was talking to an underage lady and the conversation turned toward sexual things.   At no point were any addresses, phone #'s exchange...just chat.   It was almost like I was lured into it...which I should have known pics exchanged of any sort.....then the lady says...guess what....your conversation has been written down and a PO (which I assume means police officer) will be in contact with you soon.   Does this sound real.   I have never done...nor would do...anything to an underage person.   This was just chat in a chat room....what does the law say about this?   Will an officer show up at my door??   Even if I have nothing to worry about...I don't believe I'll ever be in another chat room the rest of my life.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

Anything is possible. But, without some actual contact with the victim, proving that you had the intent to have an illegal relationship with a minor child is probbly not something that a pubic prosecutor would be much interested in.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.