Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I have a friend who served 3 years for distribution and possession

I have a friend who served 3 years for distribution and possession of drugs as well as a gun charge. He was released 3 months ago and was put on a curfew. He violated his probation by cutting off his ankle monitoring system, and 3 dirty drugs tests. The judge sentenced him to 5 years (back up time) with 1 year suspended. The judge also mention the old gun charged he already was convicted and served time for. My question is can a judge make you serve time for a crime you already did the time for? And also is it true that a person convicted only has to serve 65% of his time.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

What state did this occur in? Was this on state or federal charges?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This was in Washington DC and it was a state charge
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Sorry you are going through this. It is not 65% of the sentence including probation, he must serve actually 65% of the time in prison before being eligible for parole. The problem here is you are calling too many people. You need to contact the court that sentenced him and get a copy of the sentencing order from his case to get the actual sentence. But based upon what you are saying he is looking at the 5 years, with one suspended, so 4 yearsand 65% is about 30 months. The time does not include probation violations, those are separate and added to his sentence. The judge is not making him serve time for a crime he already served time for, he is enhancing his sentence because of the other gun crime. I am afraid the attorney you already spoke to is correct.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience