RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  licensed attorney in Texas for 29 years
8534270

My son, who is a marajuana smoker, was sent to a boys ranch

My son, who is a marajuana smoker, was sent to a boys ranch at age 15 and again at age 16. First, because he had a hand gun in the back of a truck (juvenile in possession of a fire arm) and secondly because I told his probation officer that he was out of control. Now he is 17 1/2 and was pulled over and they found he had a pipe in his pocket. New pipe, no marajuana, no tobacco.

He is looking at a jail sentence for this and I just don't think the punishment fits the crime. He is not concerned as he plans to flee. I'm so worried about him and also about the consequences to us. He has never been in trouble for any crime against another person.

Any way we can keep this from getting worse?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Well he is entitled to a court appointed lawyer here if you can't afford one. He may qualify for defered adjudication here so a lawyer to make a deal is critical. I am going to give you some striaght advice.

Your son here needs to have some time here to contemplate his future. Traveling around with paraphenellia and a handgun are signs of bigger trouble. Likely he is dealing drugs here.

You may not want to believe it here but I am giving you the benefit of 26 years as a lawyer and three kids. I would hope this is a wake up call here for you and him. I am truly afraid he is headed for more trouble.But despite what he has told you I think it is worse than you want to believe.

If he is selling here then he is going to be in worse troubel soon.Please consider this possibility here and keep it in your mind. I don't have all the answers here but he may need to do some time and hopefully he comes out a better person. The gun really bothers me. You would do well to talk to his lawyer and see what his options are..

Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience: licensed attorney in Texas for 29 years