Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

My girlfriend was stopped by private security with very minimal

My girlfriend was stopped by private security with very minimal pc. The offense took place on private roads and she was parked in a private lot. Security called chp and they showed up 1/2 hr later and arrested her for DUI . The officers never observed her in the car and the traffic stop would not hold up in court on a public road. The CHP gave her a PAS before any other testing. I guess the question is does the security guard have to develop real pc for the stop that was eventually turned over to CHP.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
If she was on private property, they would have a right to stop her to find out what she was doing there since they were patrolling that private property. However, CHP will not be able to testify as to her operating the vehicle and the security gurards would have to testify to that part. Security guards and police need some grounds to stop someone, but not exactly PC, they need reasonable suspicion. PC is only required to arrest.i Once they have reasonable suspicion, then they can develop PC if they detect the odor of alcoholic beverage on the driver. Thus, they will have to articulate some reasonable suspicion for stopping her, such that they believed that there may be some crime being comitted or suspicious activity involved.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”