Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Knowledgeable in the subject matter.
1723468

I got caught shop lifting at a store I tried to get some candy

I got caught shop lifting at a store I tried to get some candy bars and they brought me to the back I freaked out and made up a story then I came cleaned they said they weren't going to press charges or call the cops they had me sign some papers. They took down all my inforation and took my photo. It was like 4 dollars in candy bars. This is my first offense as an adult. What is going to happen next.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 5 years ago.
If they said they are not going to call the cops or press charges, then it is unlikely you will be facing criminal charges. They just took down information since they need to report such activties that take place at the store. Unless they actually report this to the police, there is nothing that is going to happen next. If they elect to press charges you will be contacted by the police. However for $4.00 of candy bars, I seriously doubt they are going to waste their time in prosecuting you, especially since they recovered the items you took.

I would suggest that you don't go to that store since they will be keeping watch to see if you return.

Please click accept, it is greatly appreciated. To request me for future questions, please begin your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience: Knowledgeable in the subject matter.