How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Knowledgeable in the subject matter.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son has broken into a store and stolen 85.00 of merchandise. I

This answer was rated:

My son has broken into a store and stolen 85.00 of merchandise.
I ask the proptietor to accept partial restitution for the items he refused to take back.
The items seemed to be worn, but he refuses to take anything less than full payment.
I have a negative balence in my checking account and I informed him of my very low/limited income and insurance liabilies. He threatens to press criminal charges if I don't
pay in lump some. My assets will setme back three months if I pay this guy like that.
It's not like I'm refusing, I just have to take care of my family too.
(from Nashville, Tennessee)
                 &nb sp;                                     Vern
Unfortunately the owner is entitled to full payment. They have the right to press charges for the theft your son has committed. The vendor is not required to accept the return of stolen merchandise. If they accept your son can be liable to any damages to that merchandise in addition to the theft charges.

I don't know what to tell you, but to avoid charges you are going to have to find the way to get the money to purchase the merchandise. You may need to charge it on your credit card. Again, they are not required to accept partial payments or the stolen property.

Please click accept, it is greatly appreciated. To request me for future questions, please begin your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.


Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you