Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Knowledgeable in the subject matter.

I have a step grandson that was on probation in Jefferson County,

I have a step grandson that was on probation in Jefferson County, Idaho, who has ran away after is real father was arrested. He has been picked up in California for overdose on something and is in the Hospital in Sacramento. The California Officals are telling his Step Father and Mother that they are responsible to come and get him. If not the Parents will be charged with Neglect? Is this true.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 7 years ago.
Yes, that is correct. While the minor remains unemancipated, his parents (the mother and the father, not so much the step-father) remain legally responsible for the care and custody of their child. Failure or refusing to assume parental responsibility is considered neglect, so the parents can be charged with this offense if they don't pick up their child.

Please click accept, it is greatly appreciated. To request me for future questions, please begin your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.