RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

Is asking some one for sex without any talk or agreement of

Is asking some one for sex without any talk or agreement of money being exchanged an act of solicitation for prostitution?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer with your question.

Generally speaking, no, it is not. Solicitation in California is a misdemeanor. The misdemeanor of solicitation has three elements. First, a person must have specific intent to engage in an act of prostitution. Second, the person must "manifes[t] an acceptance of an offer or solicitation to so engage." Cal. Penal Code 647(b). Finally, some act must be done "in furtherance of the commission of an act of prostitution." the code reads in full:

Every person who commits any of the following acts is guilty
of disorderly conduct, a misdemeanor:
(a) Who solicits anyone to engage in or who engages in lewd or
dissolute conduct in any public place or in any place open to the
public or exposed to public view.
(b) Who solicits or who agrees to engage in or who engages in any
act of prostitution. A person agrees to engage in an act of
prostitution when, with specific intent to so engage, he or she
manifests an acceptance of an offer or solicitation to so engage,
regardless of whether the offer or solicitation was made by a person
who also possessed the specific intent to engage in prostitution. No
agreement to engage in an act of prostitution shall constitute a
violation of this subdivision unless some act, in addition to the
agreement, is done within this state in furtherance of the commission
of an act of prostitution by the person agreeing to engage in that
. As used in this subdivision, "prostitution" includes any lewd
act between persons for money or other consideration.

Therefore, in order to be guilty of solicitation, you must first have the intent to solicit a prostitute, solicit someone to engage in the act, and do some act in furtherance of the solicitation, such as offer money or something else in exchange for sex. Simply meeting a person in a bar, hitting it off with them, and asking if they'd like to have sex is not solicitation.

Good luck to you. If you have any additional questions, please press the reply button, and I will be happy to assist you further.

I hope you found my answer helpful. Please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Also, remember that the correct answer is not necessarily always the one you may want to read, but it is important that I give you the most legally correct answer for your situation based on the facts you have provided, so please be courteous when deciding whether to accept an answer and when leaving feedback.

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.