LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience
15277592

I am 29 and received a felony when I was 16/17 in wisconsin.

I am 29 and received a felony when I was 16/17 in wisconsin. I had no idea what a felony was and just plead guilty to get court over with. felony was a fleeing and eluding. I heard you can get a felony removed if you were under 18.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.

Good morning,

Im sorry to hear of your dilemma.

I'm afraid that under Wisconsin law, whether you were a minor or an adult at the time of sentencing, only misdemeanor convictions can be expunged under Wisconsin law.

Wisconsin Statute 973.015 and police records.

Wisconsin Statute 973.015 (1) states, "When a person under the age of 21 at the time of the commission of an offense for which the person has been found guilty in a court for violation of a law for which the maximum penalty is imprisonment for one year or less in the county jail, the court may order at the time of sentencing that the record be expunged upon successful completion of the sentence if the court determines the person will benefit and society will not be harmed by this disposition." The Supreme Court Decision, "In the Interest of E.C. 130 Wis. 2nd 376," has determined that s. 973.015 applies only to "court records" and the court states, "In sec. 973.015 (1), the legislature has determined that the only records which may be expunged are court records resulting from a misdemeanor conviction when the person was under the age of 21 at the time of the commission of the offense. In this situation, the court may expunge only the court records, and then, only if the court determines that the person will benefit and society will not be harmed by this disposition."

Your only real chance to do something like this would be to apply for a pardon from the Governor of Wisconsin.

I wish you well.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,

Doug

LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience: 30 years legal experience
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.

Good afternoon,

If I can help you with anything else, please feel free to ask me.

Best regards,

Doug