Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney experienced in criminal matters, having represented hundreds of clients with every misdemeanor and felony imaginable.

Lets say that I am on probation for a dwi several months ago

Customer Question

Let's say that I am on probation for a dwi several months ago and want to stay with my family at our cabin in northern minnesota. The lake in which our residence is located happens to be on the rainy river and is considered a border between the two countries. Because of the laws governing my probation and not being able to enter Canada, is there a law on either side that prevents me from being that close to an international border. Basically, can I stay with my family at the cabin since it is so close by proximitywise to the border and not violate my probation in Minnesota?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Hello -

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

There is no prohibition on you being "close" to an international border. You must simply follow the instructions of your probation. If it limits you to staying within a certain city, county, or state, you need to abide by those rules. Being "close" to an international border does not violate your probation unless the Judge or your probation officer mentioned that specifically.

If my answer was helpful, please click ACCEPT so I may be compensated for my time. Thanks.