California Lawyer
California Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice law in California

I was terminated from my hospital for violating Hipaa. I told

Customer Question

I was terminated from my hospital for violating Hipaa. I told my brother something having to do with a friend of his dealing in drugs and he in turn was caught saying something to this person online about what I had said to him in confidence. I was doing it to try and protect my brother, who already smokes pot, from getting deeper into a drug habit. This person is now suing the hospital I use to work at and I am at a loss for what to do. I have not been served with a civil lawsuit but I don't know what to do.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  California Lawyer replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately, absent a contract all employment is employment at will. You can be terminated at any time and for any reason or no reason (excluding prohibited discrimination).

In a situation like this, you probably have little recourse.

I'm sorry. I wish I had a better answer.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What I want to know is the hospital terminated me, and my assumption is that they are going to settle the matter behind closed doors. But could this individual come after me?
Not likely. First, what are their damages? Secondly, I doubt a doper would spend the money to try and preserve their reputation as a doper.