Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Missisippi Attorney; Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury, and Civil Defense

I need to write a letter to the judge for a bail reduction

Customer Question

I need to write a letter to the judge for a bail reduction hearing for my 16 year old son. He is accused of two felonies and is being charged as an adult .   He has spent three weeks in a juvenile facility and six weeks in the juvenile section of the county jail.

We have set up GED training, individual and family counseling, substance abuse and anger management counseling. Also have a juvenile program that has self esteem classes and job training . I was laid off and will be in the home night and day.

We don't yet know what kind of time he is looking at if found guilty but want to help prepare him for whatever may happen and get him back on the right track. He is very remorseful (aren't they all though) and he feels that his life is over.

I have the correct format to address the judge, need help with the
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello -

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

I believe your question was cut off. Could you please repost after "need help with the...."
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Need help with the wording and content. The state is Florida.
I have another question. Is your lawyer drafting the Motion itself, and asking you to write a letter to help convince the judge?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Motion is done. Need help convincing the judge. Our son was a very good kid until he started high school (last year). Before high school he attended a very small, strict, structured public charter school where he did very well. Got caught him with a rough crowd in high school and began making stupid decisions.
Thanks.

I'm glad to hear the motion is done. Unfortunately I am not going to be able to write the letter for you. This is one of those things that must come from the heart. Your specific wording is not going to matter, as long as you get it across to the judge that your son is a good kid and the bail should be dropped so he can get out of jail.

I can give you some pointers though. Does your son have a criminal history? If not, stress the fact that he does not have one and that this is his first run-in with the law.

The main point is going to be stressing that he is remorseful and that if he is able to get out of jail, he can begin to attend the classes and programs that you have set up for him. List them for the judge and explain that they will begin as soon as he gets out of jail. If he is going to be attending church if he gets out, mention that as well.

You can also stress the length he has alread been jailed. 9 weeks is quite a while to be locked up at 16 years old. I would also mention the fact that you are laid off and will be able to provide 24/7 care for him since you will be at the home. Don't make excuses for him, just stick to why you think bail should be reduced.

I hope this helps a little. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Michael J, Esq.