CrimLaw, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Member of Harris County Criminal Lawyers Association and Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association

My ex appropriated my parents car under false pretenses. They

My ex appropriated my parents car under false pretenses. They demanded car be returned. She refused. They filed theft charges. She returned a week later claiming she had been detained in Arkansas, thus preventing her return. My mother believed her. Three days later she left again, returning to oregon, and writing a letter stating she wished to relinquish writes to our child.

I then found a ticket, hidden in her clothes left behind. She was pulled over in Illinois, not arkansas. She lied to keep from being arrested. Now she is trying to join the navy. I want to reopen the charges, because she did lie. What are my options?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimLaw replied 7 years ago.
You should contact the District Attorney's Office and ask them to pursue charges.

From your question, i assume the original case was dismissed. The state has the option to refile charges anytime within the statute of limitations. As long as it hasn't been more than a few years since she stole the car, the State can refile.

The real question is going to be whether or not the prosecutors want to pursue the case after having already dismissed it.