socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I am a mexican tourist. I got a ticket on California because

Customer Question

I am a mexican tourist. I got a ticket on California because I was driving unlicense. I paid the ticket after I appeared on court. I got another ticket for the same reason and I must appear on Court on August but I need to come back to Mexico this week. What should I need to do? My ticket was classified as a misdmeanor.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.

If you leave and don't appear in court, then a warrant will be issued for your arrest. This will mean that the next time you try to enter the USA, you will be refused. And, if by some chance you are not refused, then you may be arrested by law enforcement and held for trial.

However, California authorities will not try to have you extradited from Mexico, so if you don't plan to return to the USA, then you can leave.

The only other alternative is to hire a lawyer and try to get the charges dismissed before your court appearance date.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience: Retired (mostly)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If I would appear on my court day, I have the possibility to be arrested because I commited two times the same mistake or just to pay the fine amount?
Thanks.

It's possible, but the fact that you would return from Mexico would show that you are not really a flight risk, because your return was entirely voluntary. The court would probably release you on your own responsibility, or it may set a small bail amount. But, you wouldn't be jailed -- that would be incredibly unlikely, given the charge against you.

Although, I can't promise you anything. A lawyer who works that courthouse would have better info on the judges' predisposition for various actions.