Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

if 20 yr old on a student visa is summonsed for intoxicati&#

if 20 yr old on a student visa is summonsed for intoxication and trespass, what penalty can be imposed in ocean city maryland.
Submitted: 7 years ago via USLaw.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 years ago.
Trespass in Maryland is a misdemeanor. There are several different types, most punishable by up to 90 days in jail and a fine of up to five hundred dollars.
There are various types of intoxication laws as well, so I cannot be specific, except that yours would probably relate to underage drinking, which could be seen as a crime of moral turpitude.

IYou will need to talk to a local immigration lawyer as quickly as you can manage it. If you were a US student with these charges and had no prior contact with the criminal justice system, you would probably be able to resolve this favorably in some way without necessarily even gettng a criminal record as a result.

However, you are not in the same position. Your ability to remain in the US may be compromised here by any plea you take, and your ability to leave the country and return while the case against you is pending is also something you need to be concerned about.

_______

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice.

___________