Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Nothing like this has ever happened to my family, but I feel

Nothing like this has ever happened to my family, but I feel like the lawyer is taken advantage of the fact I live out of town. My sister doesn’t want to take a plea bargain b/c she knows she didn’t do anything wrong. Now the paralegal is calling me and my mother trying to make us convince my sister to take a plea bargain & that she really is crazy. Of course we don’t have the money to hire another lawyer. My you tell me if the paralegals or even the lawyer’s behavior is what’s to be expected? And what advice can I give my sister. All my info I receive comes second-hand. The paralegal twists my words and make bogus assumptions that 99% have been wrong. Now my sister sits in jail believing no one cares (I understand she’s going to go through the motions) but the lawyer leaves her full of questions and no answers how could we be sure the lawyer is actually working on the case for my sister?My sister has been in Jail for 4 months now. She has been indicted on 8-10 accounts. All felonies
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.
Customer

STOP right there. An attorney talking his client into a plea is breaching an ethical code, regardless of whether he's retained or appointed. At the next court hearing, be it whatever, tell her to ask the Judge to appoint her another attorney because this one is trying to talk her into a plea. Site the same reasons you gave above.

From what you telling me, the Court should appoint her a new one.

Best of luck in your matter! I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up info.
---

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button for my answer. This is the only way for me to be paid for my work. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if and I would be happy to answer any and all of the follow up questions.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 or by beginning your question with “This Question is for Eli - ”
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
and what about the 3,000 retainer fee. what is the job of a lawyer? Could my sister write the judge & request a new lawyer. What questions should my sister ask herself to determine if this lawyer should be replaced. In this situation what should be my sister' lawyer's goal?
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.
Doedark,

Once she gets another attorney, then file a complaint with the state bar. They'll look into it and most likely, you'll get most if not all of your money back....

As for if he is to be replaced questions - I'd say the above pattern is enough.
---

Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.