How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 101731
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband had over $4000 dollars worth of his personal tools

This answer was rated:

My husband had over $4000 dollars worth of his personal tools stolen out of his company truck. He does A/C Refigeration service to local supermarkets. His company sent in a claim to their insurance company along with his police report. About a month after this he still had not recieved his check for his tools, and along with this and other issues with his employer, he decided to quit. He still has not recieved his claim check and when he calls his former employer they give him the runaround. Can he take this company to court, if they have received a check from the insurance company and they have not given it to him?
What are his options?

Of course he can, and if he wins, the court will likely also award him attorneys fees and legal (filing) fees and other reasonable expenses.

His options are to get an attorney to write a threatening letter to them, accusing them of breach of contract, quantum meruit, and conversion (civil theft). Also have the attorney include a draft version of the petition he would file if they don't pay up in 20 days or so. That should get their attention.

If they don't respond, SUE.

The attorney shouldn't charge more than $100 for the letter and no more than 33 or 40 for anything received in court.

Best of luck in your matter! I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up info.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button for my answer. This is the only way for me to be paid for my work. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if and I would be happy to answer any and all of the follow up questions.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

You can always request me through my profile at or by beginning your question with “This Question is for Eli - ”
Ely and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you