How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Criminal Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 25386
Experience:  Practicing criminal defense attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im in the state of California in the midst of a lawsuit with

This answer was rated:

I'm in the state of California in the midst of a lawsuit with a nefarious corporation here in our small town. In reviewing their submitted "exhibits", found an agreement that I had never signed. The signature is close, however, in two places where there is a signature, the signatures are EXACT. Someone had worked hard at duplicating my signature, then photocopied it into both places. I found the only document that the company would have with my signature and printed name and it's obvious that they used this as their example of my signature as they've done everything to exact it. As well, the dates written (twice) are definitely not my handwriting, not even close to how I write my numbers. What can I do under the law to pursue this? Would the D.A. pursue it? Thank You, Teri
We can't look or comment on actual documents, against site rules. Here the court has the power to punish the wrongdoer for a "fraud on the court". Their case can be dismissed or they can be held in default or even in criminal contempt of court. Here we had a person spend six months in jail for a similar situation. The key is that they would have to first submit it as evidence. You will need an expert to testify for you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My attorney has asked that I hold off contacting the D.A. or Sheriff (I'm thinking the D.A. would be the better choice.. what do you think?) until after the depositions next week to see if we can use this and for now not let them know we're aware of what they've done. Will the D.A. pursue this, even though it's not a check? They've signed my name to a contract.
Follow the advice of your attorney and wait until after the depositions. Sometimes it is better for this to come out in court.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi, I'd like your opinion on what to do as I have a civil lawyer, not a criminal one, and apparently most cases don't go to trial. Right now they've submitted them to our attorney in the "discovery" phase. It may never be submitted in the courts. I'd like your opinion as to what to do and how to go about it outside of the current lawsuit.
Right now the current lawsuit is your main problem. Get that taken care of first and then decide based on what comes out in court. It is unlikely that law enforcement will get involved and simply tell you that it is a civil matter.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Again, would the D.A. pick up the matter?
It is unlikely that law enforcement will get involved and simply tell you that it is a civil matter.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So how do I go about handling it and pursuing it if it's a civil matter... who do I take it to? I don't like taking things to lawyers unless I know it's beyond me and I'm certainly intelligent enough to be able certain legal matters on my own. Please answer this the best you can and I'll leave you alone and press Accept. Thanks for you time :) Teri

For there to be a cause of action you will have to show you suffered damages as a result of the forgery. Without knowing the facts of the situation, I have no idea what if any damages you may have as a direct result of the false documents.



lwpat and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you