AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
18048122

so since the legal consent in TX is 17 a 17 year old can date

Customer Question

so since the legal consent in TX is 17 a 17 year old can date someone who is like almost 9 years older than her and the male cant get in trouble right?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 7 years ago.
DISCLAIMER
By reading further, you agree to and acknowledge the following:
1. You understand that laws vary drastically by state and country and that this answer does not constitute legal advice and that no attorney-client relationship is formed.
2. You understand that because no attorney-client relationship is formed, no attorney-client privilege exists and anything you have written could be used against you in court if discovered by an opposing party.
3. You understand that it is impossible for an attorney to provide complete and proper legal advice with JustAnswer and you therefore acknowledge that information provided on JustAnswer is not legal advice.
4. You understand that T-USA is providing this information for the sole purpose of helping you to seek and find legal counsel in your particular state.
5. You understand that T-USA is not providing you with legal services or advice.
6. You understand that T-USA is not agreeing to represent you in any legal matter and that no attorney-client privilege is formed.
7. You understand that you should consult, in person, with an attorney who is licensed to practice in your state or the state in which your question's subject matter is taking place.

imbeinme,

Laws vary drastically from state to state. Before taking any action, you should always consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state. What follows is general information and is neither legal advice nor a legal service. You should consult an attorney in your state.

According to Texas law, it appears that the legal age of consent is 17, which should allow a 17 year old to consent to sex with an older adult, regardless of the older adult's age. It is still always wise to contact the prosecutor's office or the local police department to inquire about the laws and their enforcement in your area.

Statutes follow:

"Sec. 21.11. INDECENCY WITH A CHILD. (a) A person commits an offense if, with a child younger than 17 years and not the person's spouse..."

Further:
"Sec. 21.02. CONTINUOUS SEXUAL ABUSE OF YOUNG CHILD OR CHILDREN. (a) In this section, "child" has the meaning assigned by Section 22.011(c)."
20.011(c) reads as follows:
"(c) In this section:
(1) "Child" means a person younger than 17 years of age who is not the spouse of the actor."

Because I have provided you with a detailed, high-quality answer in an extremely timely manner, please ACCEPT my answer so that I will receive credit for the time and effort I have spent assisting you. While bonuses are greatly appreciated for the exceptional information I provide, they are a gratuity and they are not required.