AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney

Can you be arrested/charged with CCW in North Carolina if you

Can you be arrested/charged with CCW in North Carolina if you have a BB gun concealed?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 7 years ago.
By reading further, you agree to and acknowledge the following:
1. You understand that laws vary drastically by state and country and that this answer does not constitute legal advice and that no attorney-client relationship is formed.
2. You understand that because no attorney-client relationship is formed, no attorney-client privilege exists and anything you have written could be used against you in court if discovered by an opposing party.
3. You understand that it is impossible for an attorney to provide complete and proper legal advice with JustAnswer and you therefore acknowledge that information provided on JustAnswer is not legal advice.
4. You understand that T-USA is providing this information for the sole purpose of helping you to seek and find legal counsel in your particular state.
5. You understand that T-USA is not providing you with legal services or advice.
6. You understand that T-USA is not agreeing to represent you in any legal matter and that no attorney-client privilege is formed.
7. You understand that you should consult, in person, with an attorney who is licensed to practice in your state or the state in which your question's subject matter is taking place.

Laws vary drastically by state. You should consult a licensed North Carolina attorney about this matter. What follows is neither legal advice nor a legal service. You can locate a licensed North Carolina attorney through the following lawyer referral service:

Probably. A court could conceivably find a BB gun to be a deadly weapon.
Because a slung shot is considered a deadly weapon, it seems very likely that a BB gun would be a deadly weapon as well.

I have included some relevant statutory information.

NC Stat. 14-269. Carrying concealed weapons (in relevant part):

"(a) It shall be unlawful for any person willfully and intentionally to carry concealed about his person any bowie knife, dirk, dagger, slung shot, loaded cane, metallic knuckles, razor, shurikin, stun gun, or other deadly weapon of like kind, except when the person is on the person's own premises."

While what follows is probably not directly relevant, you may find it interesting. In North Carolina, a BB gun should not qualify as a firearm, but it may qualify as a handgun depending on statutory interpretation. This is because a handgun is defined as any "gun" with a short stock and designed for single handed firing, while a firearm is requires the projectile to work by explosive action.

The relevant definitions statute:

§ 14-409.39. Definitions (in relevant part):
"The following definitions apply in this Article:
(1) Dealer. – Any person licensed as a dealer pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 921,
et seq., or G.S. 105-80.
(2) Firearm. – A handgun, shotgun, or rifle which expels a projectile by
action of an explosion.
(3) Handgun. – A pistol, revolver, or other gun that has a short stock and is
designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand. (1995 (Reg.
Sess., 1996), c. 727, s. 1.)"

Because I have provided you with a detailed, high-quality answer in an extremely timely manner, please ACCEPT my answer so that I will receive credit for the time and effort I have spent assisting you. While bonuses are greatly appreciated for the exceptional information I provide, they are a gratuity and they are not required.