Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.

I am currently on parole in Colorado... In 2005 I was sentenced

Customer Question

I am currently on parole in Colorado... In 2005 I was sentenced to 4 years in the CDOC, Colorado has manditory parole which the length of your parole is determined by the class felony you are convicted of... I was convicted of a class 3 which is a 5 year tail that started a year ago when I got out... A lot of people have told me that your not suppose to have more parole time than DOC time... Have asked parole and cant get a straight answer from them, Can you help me?????
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nate replied 7 years ago.
Often, the supervision period must be within the "range" of the class of felony. A Class 3 in Colorado can go up to as many as 12 years. It does not seem there is anything wrong with the extended parole period based on my reading of the law.

I hope this helps. Be sure to click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for this answer. As always, if you have additional questions after clicking ACCEPT, I will be happy to follow up with you.

Nathan Moore
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there a motion that I can file tosee about getting it corrected??
Expert:  Nate replied 7 years ago.
You can certainly address the parole board. That would be your best bet.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Up to 12 years in prison... II know this. A class 3 has a manditory 5 years parole, thats what I want to know about is it lawfull to sentence me to more parole than DOC time?????
Expert:  Nate replied 7 years ago.
Yes, it is.