How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons , Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 32401
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I plead guilty to a felony in 2002 for violating sec. 1097

Resolved Question:

I plead guilty to a felony in 2002 for violating sec. 1090 of the CA penal code. Sec. 1090 is the political reform act. Am I eligible to petition the court for relief to enable me to purchase a firearm. I have no previous or other convictions of any kind?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to assist

I want to make sure I have the right "crime"

Was this the The Political Reform Act of 1974

Were you a public official?

I assume you still have the conviction on your record?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes I was a city council member and it was the Politcal Reform Act of 1974. I failed to "correctly and completely identify a source of income"... on my Economic Interest Statement. The violation was having a "remote and indirect financial interest in a contract". The conviction remains on my record. I have not filed a 1203.4 but am planning on doing so.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 years ago.

and sorry for the delay. Yes, the application for expungement is a very good idea. So long as you did not receive ANY prison time, you would be eligible for expungement

So, here is the dilemma (assuming you have not yet received expungement) is that both the federal and state law (California) prohibit gun ownership by a convicted felon.

Federal law contains an explicit statutory exception which provides that the federal criminal offense of firearms possession is inapplicable to persons who have had their civil rights restored on the predicate state felony conviction.

Whether a person has had his or her civil rights restored for a state conviction is determined by state and NOT federal law.

However, federal law requires that for federal law to recognize the state restoration of rights, the state restoration must include the right to vote, the right to seek and hold public office, and the right to serve on a jury.

So, how to "restore your state rights"

Well, you can apply to the state for either a pardon or a "restoration of rights"

More info here

To start the process, you would need to do one of two things. Ideally, the best option is to retain a local criminal defense attorney to represent you. Many lawyers will handle these cases pursuant to a flat fee arrangement, which can offer a substantial savings in legal fees over the traditional hourly billing method. The second option would be to represent yourself (pro per) by filing and serving the appropriate forms. Application packet for public use, which includes the required forms, eligibility requirements, and filing and service instructions, has been prepared by the Investigations Division of the Board of Parole Hearings.

If the Superior Court grants you a Certificate of Rehabilitation, that is a victory and serves as an automatic Application for Clemency for the Governor to grant a pardon. The form to complete and file to initiate the process is Petition for Certificate of Rehabilitation and Pardon. Note that it also includes a request for the appointment of legal counsel.

SO, this is one way to proceed. But really, you should also apply for expungement at the same time...if you are going to hire an attorney they can "kill two birds with one stone".

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 32401
Experience: 16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
P. Simmons and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
< Previous | Next >
  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
  • Nate's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience
  • Marsha411JD's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law
  • RobertJDFL's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:


Related Criminal Law Questions