Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

Im a 19 year old male and have a 17 year old girlfriend. We

Im a 19 year old male and have a 17 year old girlfriend. We have a child, it is not mine but i am being the father to the child. i signed the birth certificate too. now her mother dislikes me because her daughter brings the baby to see me all the time. and she has threatened to press criminal charges on me because i am having sex with her daughter. she wont even let them talk to me. can she legally press criminal charges on me? and am i allowed to see the child? being that my name is XXXXX XXXXX birth certificate. i am worried because i do not want to go to jail over this. please help. thank you.

what state?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i live in summerfield,florida

the age of consent in florida is 16, if the actor is not more than 4 years older. there is a florida law that states if the actor is at least 24 and they have sexual relations with someone 16 or 17 then that is a felony in the second degree

the law means that is anyone under age 24 can engage in sexual relations with someone at least age 16 with consent.

the problem you might encounter is the age you GF was when she got pregnant. if she was not at least 16 and you are on the birth certificate, then the Mom could try to have the District Attorney prosecute you for statutory rape because you are listed as the bio father.

but if that is not that case, then there is no criminal legal action the Mom can take and you would be entitled to see the baby - but you need to file for that visitation to make sure that it cannot be kept from you - the Mom would have to listen to the court order

you can use this link to read the fla law that i referred to