Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

My daughter is 17 and was charged with minor in possession.

My daughter is 17 and was charged with minor in possession. She was at a party in McCormick County SC. The police wrote 25-35 tickets. She was not seen with alcohol.
What is the best option and if we retained an attorney what is a reasonable fee.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
The best option is to plead not guilty and impress upon the court that while she may have been at the party she was not in any possession of alcohol, although the prosecutor will likely argue she was in constructive possession just by being present. If the prosecutor will offer a deal on your first appearance, such asl dismiss or make a deal for a fine and probation after which time they will dismiss or sometimes they will offer just alcohol awareness class and probation and then dismiss, then you should consider hiring the attorney at that point to try to get her a deal where it will be dismissed.

It would be likely best to hire an attorney for this and most of these cases cost between $500-$1000, depending on how many court appearances the attorney is required to make.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”