Deirdre
Deirdre, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  16 years experience as a highly successful criminal defense lawyer, many acquittals & dismissals.

i was charged with a criminal domestic violence but a witness

i was charged with a criminal domestic violence but a witness is the one that called 911 and she said i hit my girlfriend which i did not and she even told the officers that i didnt hit her. and she is going to testify in my favor what should i do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Deirdre replied 5 years ago.

When you say "she told the officers that I didn't hit her. And she is going to testify in my favor" I assume the "she" in that statement is your girlfriend and not the witness who originally called 911. If that's the case, the state can proceed with the witness even if your girlfriend says it never happened. That does not mean they will, just that they can.

You need a good criminal defense lawyer. If you don't have money, you can get a public defender. (Many of them are quite good. I was a PD for 9 years in L.A. and my colleagues were first rate.)

The fact that your girlfriend is saying you did not hit her is helpful, but the lawyer will need to deal with the witness. The lawyer will want to listen to the 911 tape and interview the witness to find out why she is making the claim (honest mistake or some other motive) and to develop a strategy to attack her version and/or persuade the prosecutor that the case should be dismissed. Naturally, the lawyer will want to speak with your girlfriend to get her version and prepare her for trial.

I hope this is helpful and wish you the best of luck. After you click Accept, I'll be happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Deirdre

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you for the response i have a meeting with a defense attorney today thank you again
Expert:  Deirdre replied 5 years ago.
Your welcome. Don't forget to click Accept so that I may get credit for my time.

Good luck.
Deirdre, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience: 16 years experience as a highly successful criminal defense lawyer, many acquittals & dismissals.