AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in Criminal Law.
10805288

i bought a car from out of state (FL) on the internet, i live

Customer Question

i bought a car from out of state (FL) on the internet, i live in mississippi. i hired a guy to drive it for me 1100 miles, car ran good. when the car got here i didnt like it, so i decided to sell it. I never got the car titled in my name and the car dealer i bought it from left the sold to section on the title blank, so it wasnt filled out for me. about 2 weeks later i sold the car. about 2 days later the engine started making a noise, the person that bought it wanted there money back, i said i am sorry and it was sold "as is" and she knew that. so now she is mad and taking me to court claiming i sold a car that was not registered to me and that it was fraudulant and wants the court to make the sale null and void and wants a full refund and give me the car back, the car is not running now. did i do anything wrong? does she have a case?
please help
thank you
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 5 years ago.

Dear tnt,

Thank you for your question and I look forward to working on your answer. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you describe it fully. Also, due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if I ask a redundant question.

That being said, in order to better assist you, could you please clarify for me:

1. Has she filed a complaint and has she had you served with the summon/complaint? if so, what court did she file in?

I look forward to getting to work on this for you. Hang in there!

Sincerely,

US Attorney

Please note: I do not provide legal advice, only legal information; I do notlegally represent any JA members, visitors or customers. We do not and will not enjoy an attorney/client relationship. Further communication with me here is an acceptance of this and any information provided by me is with the understanding that you comprehend this and agree.

A times there can be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. In addition, if it is late at night, EST, and we are between postings, I may go get some shut eye, but I'll be back the next day, so never fear. On Saturday, there will be greater gaps in time due to scheduling, for any needed follow up, but rest assured, by day's end it will be done.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes she has she filed in justice court

Dear tnt,

I'm not seeing anything that would negate the fact that the car, in equity, was yours, due to your legitimate purchase (which you should be prepared to prove) from the seller (perhaps get a signed notarized affidavit from him confirming same); failure to register the car after a certain amount of time can be an infraction, but that does not negate the fact that the car belonged to you and you could sell it. It also does not equate with fraud. If she is denying that the car was sold "as is", provide the Bill of Sale with all of the As Is language and other necessaries.

If you are missing that Bill of Sale and think that she will be able to show that is was not "as is" in her mind, and that you may lose this case - you do not have to continue the case - you can simply settle with her, either for what she want/demands, or something less.

Hope this helps to clarify.

I believe I have answered your question and I hope you a better understanding of your legal issue as a result. As you know, I am only the messenger, not your attorney, nor can I create favorable law if it doesn't exist, so please don't hold it against me if the legal result is not what you wish. If your question was in fact answered appropriately please click the GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, in order that it be recognized as such and I receive credit for my work from the company. Doing so ensures I will be willing to assist your with your future legal question. In addition, Positive "FEEDBACK" and BONUSES are also appreciated. If you need additional related follow up on this particular question afterward clicking ACCEPT, don't hesitate to click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. And if you would like my assistance in the future, just put my name, STEPHANIE JOY, in your title or first sentence of a new post. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you describe it fully. Also, due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break, or if it is late at night, I may have to go get some shut eye til morning, but rest assured, I'll be back for you. Thanks

Sincerely,

USAttorney

My Standard and Required Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me here is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice and you agree that the nominal price you may voluntarily pay for information here clearly does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. You must hire an attorney in your state as a matter of law, in order to receive legal advice and attorney/client relationship and rights. I do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided or whose law would apply, if any. My licensing credentials are noted in my profile, which you have full access to. As law is always changing, you are recommended to consult with the appropriate legal counsel in your jurisdiction for accurate and complete information. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a great day.