ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

my wife has court today for petty shoplifting what do we do

Customer Question

my wife has court today for petty shoplifting what do we do i just found out, we are on a tight budget i am disability?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 5 years ago.
What state do you live in and do you have an attorney to assist you?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

we live in ca and we do not have an attorney we were thinking of getting a public deffendant

You should certainly see if you qualify for a public defender. This is something that you do not want to navigate on your own. Is this her first offense? How much was the value of the item shoplifted?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
like 40$
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
like 40$ and her first time

Talk to a public defender. You should be able to get probation for this offense (meaning no jail or fine so long as she keeps her nose clean). Talk to the public defender about this (or if you don't qualify, look for an attorney at the courthouse (look for men in nice looking suits) and offer them a hundred bucks to represent you in the hearing).

Is this the arraignment or the actual trial? If it's the arraignment, all that means is that you are going to show up and plead guilty or not guilty. You do not want to plead guilty without a deal from the prosecutor, so if you don't have one then plead not guilty and work it out from there. If this is the actual trial, then that is a different situation. Ask for a continuance so that you can find an attorney, and hopefully the judge will grant it.

Good luck!

ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

so should she plea no contest untill we speak to a pd

Pleading no contest is essentially the same as pleading guilty. You can always change your plead, but not after the judge sentences you. So plead not guilty and work out a deal with the prosecution.

Good luck!