Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

IF WHILE ON THE IRST OFFENDER ACT IN GA YOU ARE ARRESTED FOR

IF WHILE ON THE IRST OFFENDER ACT IN GA YOU ARE ARRESTED FOR ANOTHER CRIME WHAT IS THE LIKELY OUTCOME?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.

If you are convicted of another offense while on first offender probation, Georgia law (O.C.G.A. § 42-8-65(b)) requires the Georgia Crime Information Center (GCIC) to change the first offender sentence to a conviction. Also, you can be charged as a repeat offender on the second crime.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

WHILE I UNDERSTAND IT IS LIKELY THAT THE THE CONVICTION WILL NOW APPEAR OF RECORD, IS IT LIKELY THAT THE JUDGE MAY REQUIRE THAT HE FINISH ALL OR PART OF THE PREVIOUS SENTENCE WHICH WAS REDUCED BASED UPON THE SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF HIS PROPBATION?

The judge can indeed revoke or violate the probation of the person and make them serve the entire sentence that was originally imposed upon the person, but again this would be based upon a conviction for the second crime.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THE 1ST OFFENSE(S) WERE FELONY CHARGES...THE 2ND ARREST WAS FOR A MISDEMEANOR SHOPLIFTING CHARGE FOR WHICH HE PLEAD GUILTY TO AND ENTERED INTO A SHOPLIFTING DIVERSION PLAN THAT UPON SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF 1 YEAR PROBATION, 40 HOURS COMMUNITY SERVICE, 8 HOUR SHOPLIFTING CLASS, PAYMENT OF FINES, ETC. ADJUDICATION WOULD BE WITHHELD. ALL OF THE TERMS HAVE BEEN MET FOR THE 2ND OFFENSE EXCEPT THE 12 MOS OF PROBATION (BECAUSE 12 MOS HAVE NOT YET PASSED). IS IT LIKELY THE JUDGE WILL REVOKE OR VIOLATE HIS PROBATION AND MAKE HIM SERVE THE REST OF HIS TIME BASED ON THE GUILTY PLEA FOR THE 2ND OFFENSE?
Since the second case was also a deferred adjudication, it is not likely thhe court will revoke his sentence. If they were going to revoke him, he would know by now.