Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

I am a correctional officer in Texas and wanted to know for

I am a correctional officer in Texas and wanted to know for my own information if charges could be filed against me for having a non sexual relationship with an inmate.  I have been faced with a situation were TDCJ has questioned me several times about an inproper relationship, Im aware that i could be fired but didnt know if they could file charges against me if there was no sexual contact involved.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
They cannot file criminal charges against you if there was no sexual contact involved, the charges are relating to having sex with inmates, not having a non-sexual relationship.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”