Criminal Attorney
Criminal Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with experience in criminal law

4 warrants for petit larceny were issued for a friend of mine

4 warrants for petit larceny were issued for a friend of mine in 2/03. They still show up on the county website where they were issued but from what I read, statute of limitations expired after 2 years. Has warrants expired and are they all considered misdemeanors. This is in the state of New York.

You are correct the statute of limitations is 2 years in NY for misdemeanors, but is 5 years when a person is out of the state or his whereabouts are unknown. Either way the statute of limitations has tolled. Even if the crimes were felones (except for murder and Class A felonies). I would seek out local NY counsel who specialize in criminal law and they can help your friend get this resolved.

I hope I have been helpful.