Curtis Staropoli
Curtis Staropoli, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of general practice of law.
10748736

I recently got caught stealing money from my job...around $9000...i

I recently got caught stealing money from my job...around $9000...i am in the process of paying back the monies. They are going to charge me with fraud, will paying the money back make the sentencing easier?

Yes, the fact that you made voluntary re-payment will definitely be a mitigating factor at sentencing, as will your prior record if any.

If you tell me what state you are in, I can give you the senetencing guidelines for the offense I think that you would most likely be charged with.

If this is a first offense, I'd be very surprised to see any time, and, if there are prior offenses, time seems unlikely still unless there is a pattern or a fair amount of history.

I hope that this was helpful to you. If it was please remember to click "ACCEPT" on your screen to make sure that I am paid for my efforts. By clicking ACCEPT you are not giving up your right to ask more questions on this issue, and I will be happy to respond to these as well.