RBinJax, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a former Public Defender, and have handled criminal cases for 25 years.

I live in Jacksonville Florida. My son has a razor bike that

Customer Question

I live in Jacksonville Florida. My son has a razor bike that runs for about 2 hours before having to charge it again. My neighbor is giving me a hard time about him riding it in our cul de sac. He says it must be registered. However, it only goes 12 mph and isn't gas operated. Can you tell me what the florida statute is for riding legally please?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RBinJax replied 7 years ago.

Florida Statute 320 deals with motor vehicles licenses. Section 320.01(1)(a) defines "motor vehicle" to not include traction engines, road rollers, vehicles that run only on a track, bicycles or mopeds. From what I know of razor bikes, they are most closely akin to mopeds, except that they have an electrical engine instead of gas.

Based upon the statutory definition, since the razor bike is not a "motor vehicle" it does not require a license. However, it might be advisable to call the Florida Highway Patrol Motor Vehicles Division at 904-225-9117 to see if the state's interpretation of the statute is different from the plain language of the statute (trust me, it happens).

I hope this answers your questions. Please click Accept so that I may be credited for my assistance. Thank you and good luck.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I apologize for the delay. The police were called and they resolved the matter,